Monday 24 October 2011

Gemma's Evaluation.

1. Use of a camera
Throughout my fineshed work, the shots are steady. This is showed by the stability of the camera. The camera never jolts or moves unless it is a pan shot. Also in one of my scenes, the camera is being held for effect but except for these, the camera is still and doesnt move innapropriatley. My fineshed work shows that i can frame a shot appropratley, each of my frames have appropraite head room, and also carry on from one another effectively. i have also used to composition techniques as my fineshed film keeps to the 'rule of thirds' aswell as the 180 degree rule so that the audiences' attentions are placed correctly, aswell as making sure that the audience doesnt get confused. My fineshed work includes a mid-close up, medium shot, long shot; showing i can use a variety of shot types. however i could have also included a point of view, extreme close up, two-shot and over the shoulder shot.

2. Use of Editing
My end resulting film fits pretty well together, all of the shots fit together well and flow. However, from shot 13 to 14 and 15 to 16, the shots do jump. The reason for the jumping from shot 13 to 14 was because we didnt abide to the '30 degree' rule by keeping the camera in the same place, this created a jump. The jump from shot 15 to 16 was created by there not being enough room to get the appropriate shot. Appropriate editing transitions are showed in my fineshed work as each frame fits together, and is not confusing. The audience knows whats going on. One addition that could have been made in the editing is sound and effects.

3. Selection of Content
I have showed i have chosen appropriate actors for my film as my actors stayed in character at all times, they didnt smile or giggle. I chose appropriate location/setting for my film genre as it is a ghost film genre and i had on hand different props to play around with (e.g a mirror/slamming door). However a problem that occured was that the bathroom used for the main part of the filming was pretty small. Meaning i was restricted on where i could place my camera to get the best possible shots. This also ment i couldnt stick to the '30 degree rule' as well, which ended in some of my shots becoming jumpy. My fineshed work does show i can choose appropriate costume, make-up and props for my film genre. However; we fount it difficult to choose make-up as our film genre was 'ghost' and it was hard to find examples to help us. We didnt need many props, all we really needed was a large mirror, the mirror at our location was relatively big, however the layout of the location was akward and we ended up having to move the camera so that we could get the actors both in. Our costumes where alright, we didnt really have to make much effort as the main actor had to be in normal, everyday clothes.


4. Self-assessment
I did the filming in the production fo the film. I told the actors what to do, where to stand, what to say and also the camera work. I made sure that the actors where on the 'rule of thirds' lines, and i also made sure that the camera did not break the '180 degree rule' and i also kept on looking at the original film we was copying from to make sure our films looked similar. i contributed to the editing by sitting with my partner and discussing where to cut and duplicate the scenes to make it look like the original as much as possible. I wrote down all of the planning, while me and my partner discussed the shot types, shot angles, camera movement and action details of each scene. My partner did the makeup of the actors, aswell as having the location. Some of the improvements i think could be done to my fineshed film is to think through the location, before filming checking to see if there is enough space for the tripod so we can stick to the 30 and 180 degree rule to make sure the composition is perfect. Another improvement i would make to my fineshed film is the makeup used. It wasnt very scary for the genre of horror film. I would also improve the editing, making sure that the shots flow smoothly. For my final coursework film, i would deffinately make sure i give myself more time to sort out my location, makeup, props and costumes so that i know that i am fully planned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment